Big on tradition

Tuffnells Parcels Express has been handling business parcel deliveries for well over 100 years, back when Harold Tuffnell had 1 horse and a cart which he purchased for just £100.

Business deliveries have moved on since then, and we now deliver more parcels than the whole population of Australia every single year!

With thousands of employees and vehicles, a £4bn turnover parent company and 1000s of happy customers, we’d say that Harold started something pretty special.

1914

The business was founded by Harold J Tuffnell with just a horse and cart and an investment of £100!

1951

Still owned by the Tuffnells family, 'Tuffnells of Sheffield' was operating with 7 vehicles and 25 staff. In those days the vehicles were maroon and cream!

1953

Tuffnells is sold to Mr E J Shaw, who runs a furniture removal company called Caudles

1971

Tuffnells is acquired by TDG Transport Development Group

1983

Tuffnells now operates out of 15 depots nationwide - a growing business!

1985

Tuffnells changes its name from Tuffnells of Sheffield to Tuffnells Parcels Express, as well as adopting the slogan “The Big Green Parcel Machine”. Tuffnells now has 200 vehicles and employs over 600 staff.

2005

There is a £33 million management buyout at Tuffnells - a great achievement from Harold Tuffnell and his horse and cart!

2010

The annual turnover of Tuffnells exceeds £100 million for the first time.

2014

Tuffnells is acquired by Connect Group PLC on the 100th year of trading.